Reservations
mm/dd/yyyy
mm/dd/yyyy

About The Flint Creek Inn

About Us

Flint Creek Inn is best described as modern amenities surrounded by history.  Opening in 2004 the Federal-style, Bungalow mixed structure was first dubbed Bunny’s Bed and Breakfast.  We, Ardee and Penny acquired the Inn September 1, 2017, renaming it Flint Creek after the creek running alongside the northwest edge of the property.  We have spent many hours remodeling and updating to create a relaxed prairie style atmosphere, using authentic art and artifacts collected from states along the Sante Fe trail.  In the midst of remodeling we have hosted many guests.  All have been very understanding and kind during the transition.  The feedback has been very positive for which we are truly grateful.  Simple clean lines, spacious rooms and comfortable furnishings create a cozy, restful, place to lay your head.   

The main level of the inn houses the check-in area and the innkeeper’s living quarters.  The walkout lower level houses the complete bed and breakfast area.  The rooms are accessed by a boardwalk leading from the parking area to a covered patio and the inn entrance.  The only step is the small rise of the entrance threshold, making it perfect for those who don’t want to climb stairs.  The entrance opens into the commons area which boasts a large dining table, kitchenette with full-size refrigerator and coffee/tea available 24/7 along with a lounge area for card playing, reading or simply relaxing.  A full bank of windows along one side allows for bird watching and a view of the wooded area along the creek, keeping the room from feeling closed in.  Five rooms with a private bath in each are named after the state birds of each state included in the Santa Fe Trail.  Luxurious linens, 100% cotton towels, and softened water add to the comfort level of the inn.  Our wish is for your stay at Flint Creek Inn to be “Better Than Home”.  Providing a restful night along with plenty of food and drink, so that you leave feeling rested and refreshed. 

About Arrow Rock

Arrow Rock appeared first as “Pierre a fleche” or “rock of arrows” on French maps as early as 1732.  The flint bluffs of Arrow Rock were used by Indians as a place to make tools and weapons.  Lewis and Clark mentioned the site in 1804 on their expedition upriver and the Osage Trace used by Indians crossed the Missouri river here.  By 1810 American settlers began moving into the area.  After the war of 1812, it is recorded that settlers came in droves.  A ferry was begun and was navigated by William Becknell who managed the Boone’s Lick Salt Works located on the east side of the river.  In September 1821 a group led by Becknell, crossed on the ferry following the Osage Trace, on the first successful Santa Fe trading journey.  Arrow Rock became the starting point west of the Missouri for the Santa Fe trail bolstered by a freshwater spring, called the Big Spring, from which travelers filled their water barrels. It did not officially become a town until 1829.  First named Philadelphia, it did not become Arrow Rock until 1933. 

There were many noteworthy early settlers in Arrow Rock.  Joseph Huston built the J. Huston Tavern in 1834.  It has remained in continuous service ever since.  Thanks to the work of the Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) in 1923 the tavern became the state of Missouri’s 1st Historic Site.  George Caleb Bingham, known as “the Missouri artist” built a house at the corner of First & High Street in 1837.  Dr. John Sappington was the 1st physician in Saline County, pioneered the use of quinine and was very instrumental in creating a political dynasty that includes three Missouri Governors.  The list goes on.

By the 1860’s the population of Arrow Rock was more than 1000 and included a steamboat landing and an impressive main street.  However, after the Civil War, Arrow Rock failed to secure a railroad, river travel dwindled, fires damaged main street, farmers profits dried up and the town diminished to roughly 300 residents by the early 1900’s.  The river channel also shifted and now flowed a mile from town.  But due to the work of the (DAR) and also the creation of the Friends of Arrow Rock in 1959, buildings and the history that goes along with them would be preserved.  Arrow Rock became known as the birthplace of historic preservation in Missouri.

In 1926 the state purchased 30 acres around the Big Spring and it became Arrow Rock State Park, the 1st state park in Missouri. 

The Lyceum Theatre began in a historic church in 1961.  It is now in its 58th season of entertaining audiences with Broadway-caliber productions.  Over 33,000 patrons annually. 

In 1964, due to its important role in American History, the entire town of Arrow Rock, including the state-owned portion was designated a National Historic Landmark.   Several locations are also certified sites of the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail and the Santa Fe National Historic Trail. 

In 1991 a museum-visitor center was built.  It presents not only a history of Arrow Rock but also the Boone’s Lick Country in state and national history.

In 2006 Arrow Rock was named one of 12 Distinctive Destinations by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

In 2008 it was named a Preserve America Community by Laura Bush. 

A book was published in 2008 by the University of Missouri, School of Journalism, and Photojournalism, entitled, “Arrow Rock, Where the Past Is the Future”.  Due to people caring to preserve the past, the community of Arrow Rock truly has a future, drawing over 100,000 visitors annually.

The village, as it is now called, has won many honors and much recognition.  In 2017 it was awarded the Creative Community Award by the Missouri Arts Council, due to the promotion of guilds for Weaving, Rug Hooking, Quilting and other arts, along with music and plays performed at the Lyceum Theatre.

Come visit our village and let the history that fills this place, slow your pace and calm your spirit.